Mission, Goals and Objectives
Dr. Douglas Herrmann
To develop and maintain an association of professors, adjunct professors, administrators and academic researchers who are veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces for the purpose of assisting college and universities educate emerging Veteran populations.
* To encourage and foster wounded warrior veterans and veterans in general to enroll in and complete a college education.
* To inform educators about the opportunities, advantages and knowledge necessary to provide optimum support for student veterans.
* To make it possible for AVA members to serve as mentors to undergraduate and graduate student veterans to assure that America will have a continuous cadre of academics to serve future generations of veterans.
* To provide Information and counsel to community colleges, colleges , universities, the United States Congress, Department of Defense and other Government entities.
* To develop knowledge colleges and universities, may use to integrate and assimilate veterans into the culture of higher education
* To develop knowledge that colleges and universities may in educating academia about the stereotypes and myths of combat experiences and uniformed service in general.
* To ensure that professor's and college administrators within academia are sensitized to the specific issues of integration and assimilation of veterans into the culture of higher education and informed about stereotypes and myths of combat experiences and military service in general.
* To provide college seminars for student veterans conducted by members of AVA and assist them with assimilation into the culture of higher education and their completion of academic programs.
* To annually conduct a national conference that addresses the emerging issues of current student veterans confronting colleges and universities.
To encourage wounded warrior veterans and all veterans to seek and earn graduate degrees in order to become professors, administrators and academic researchers.
* To facilitate scholarly research into improving the pursuit of higher education by student veterans.
Please check Academic Veterans Association for more information.